Wednesday, January 21, 2015

National Hugging Day

I think that this is one of my favorite holidays! When I think of hugging I don't just think of family or friends. I think of Choir Camp.

I started going to choir camp when I was 9 years old. It was a church camp for kids going into 4th grade thru teens that just graduated from high school. I was a camper for 10 years and this summer will mark my 5th year as a counselor. One of my absolute favorite things about this camp is how close we all were. A lot of this was thanks to some of the awesome staff at the camp.

Hugging is one of the most common things that you will see at choir camp - along with random bursts of singing, drum cadences with cups on the dinner tables, and people dressed up in funny hats.

Amy, along with her husband Cecil, have been coming to choir camp for many years. She was probably the first counselor I met when I came my first day in 4th grade. The first thing she does when she meets you is give you a big hug, and tell you that her most important rule is that you have to give her a hug every day when you see her - and this doesn't just apply to her elementary girls cabin. That "rule" has been ingrained into my head. Even if we are not at camp, if I see Amy I must hug her.

It is a fact that hugging has a lot of health benefits, such as reducing stress and lowering blood pressure.

So if not for your health, than for others, go hug someone! Family, friends, pets, etc. And for those of you coming to the choir camp reunion this weekend, you will get your hugs then!

Erin
   Reeses & Blossom

No comments:

Post a Comment