Friday, January 9, 2015

National Static Electricity Day

Static Electricity day! Who ever created this holiday definitely put it in the correct month. I have been getting "shocked" for over a week now!

Every time I am at work and I touch the handle on our office door I get shocked. Doesn't matter if I had just touched it less than 60 seconds before - It still gets me. Blossom with all of her fur has been getting lots of shocks too.

I work part time in the salon at our store as well, and because of the dry air and cold the static electricity is everywhere! I brush a dog and if the fur doesn't cling to me then it clings to the windows, the broom, or anything else it can attach to.

So I thought, what is the best way to reduce our static electricity build up?

1. Humidifiers - Static Electricity is amplified in the winter because it is so cold and dry. Humidifiers help the add moisture to the air.

2. Anti-Static Spray - Apparently you can find this spray and put it on your furniture. . . where do you find this spray? Just at your local store? I must look next time I go!

3. Moisturize - Dry skin can cause a buildup of static charges which could cause more static electricity. Staying moisturized helps to reduce your static.

4. Wear 100% cotton or wool clothing - Different materials can cause more static electricity than others.

Another random fact I found as well is that 50% of dogs that are afraid of thunderstorms are afraid not because of the noise or the lighting. They are afraid of the static that is built up in their fur from the storm. A great way to help them is to rub a dryer sheet on them to reduce the static. It also makes them smell better!

So I guess that I need to go get a humidifier. . .

Erin
   Reeses & Blossom


No comments:

Post a Comment