Sunday, March 15, 2015

Buzzards Day

Buzzards, or the technical term, Vultures, are birds that like to feed on the carcases of dead animals. When I think of Buzzards I tend to think of the desert. So how shocked was I to find that this holiday is actually celebrated in Ohio of all places? To them, the Buzzard doesn't mean death, but rebirth. The people scan the skies with binoculars, waiting for the Buzzards return. In Cleveland Metroparks they even have a person who is an 'Official Buzzard Spotter'. There is also celebrations on what they call Buzzard Sunday.

Now the Buzzard in this picture was never a buzzard to me when I was a kid. It was the Snipe. What is the Snipe you ask? It was a mythical creature that my family liked to use to scare the younger kids when we went camping. I don't remember much of the story, other than my uncle had us all convinced that there was a Snipe out in the woods, and so we had to go Snipe hunting so it wouldn't get us. They had put up this bird in one of the trees, and at night it does look very scary. When we saw it we jumped and yelled that we found the snipe. . . We then realized that it was fake.

Happy Buzzards Day!

Erin
   Reeses & Blossom

No comments:

Post a Comment