Thursday, March 12, 2015

Girl Scouts Birthday

Today is the day that the Girl Scouts of America was founded in 1912 by Juliette Gordon Low. It started with only 18 girls in Georgia, and has now grown to every state in the US plus other countries!

I was in Girl Scouts for 12 years. I started off as a Brownie in first grade and then went up through Junior, Senior, and Cadette. I first joined as a kid to have fun. When I had to switch schools in 4th grade I stayed so that I could still see my old friends. As it got older I stayed for the college tuition and when Girl Scouts said that it no longer had funds to give to it's members I stayed because it would look good on a college application. . . That's what I said anyways. In reality, I had a blast. Sure, myself and friends would wine and moan when we had to go camping, but when we got their we would have a ton of fun! There are so many things that I did and learned with girl scouts that I wouldn't have been able to experience otherwise. My troop can tell you stories of scuba diving, camping during a tornedo, throwing cases of Girl Scout cookies to each other down the school steps, hissing at a racoon to get it away from the garbage, playing spoons (with markers) until 3:00 in the morning, getting locked in a mall over night, bringing balloons to people at the nursing home, along with so much more!

We had a strange troop, not going to lie. Usually by the time you are in high school, a troop only consists of one or two people. We had 7 in our troop, from 5 different schools. ALL seven of us got our Gold Award (highest honor you can earn in Girl Scouts). Less than 1% of the kids who join Girl Scouts will ever get their Gold Award - and all 7 of us got it! We were a great troop and I am so glad that I got the opportunity to be in it!

Erin
   Reeses & Blossom

No comments:

Post a Comment