Saturday, January 10, 2015

Houseplant Appreciation Day

I don't have much experience with houseplants. Not that I don't like them, my family just never had any when I was a kid. I was told that it was because my mom is good at killing plants. I guess that I take after her. Even just trying to take this picture I borrowed one of my grandma's plants that she didn't care too much about. . . . I'm glad she doesn't care about it because I accidentally killed it. I forgot about it in my car overnight when it was -3 degrees. By the time it thawed out, it had started to turn brown and was wilting. I felt so bad, but my grandma was just happy that she didn't have to figure out where to put her new houseplant that she just received. So I guess it worked out for everyone?

I remember when I was in high school I decided to do the experiment that lots of kids did for their science fair projects in elementary school. I got some flower seeds, pots, and soil and tried to see what would happen if I gave them water that had different colored food dye in it. I had a friend that did this exact experiment and they got flowers that turned blue, green, yellow, and red. Guess what I got? You got it - Mold! I even brought it in for my science teacher so that he didn't think that I faked the whole thing. He just looked at the rotting pots, gave a grimace, and demanded that I throw them in the trash. He thankfully gave me a good grade for my effort, even though I failed miserably.

I do have a houseplant that I got for my birthday that I haven't killed. It has lasted almost 9 months! It's a record!

Erin
   Reeses & Blossom

No comments:

Post a Comment