Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Old Rock Day

This was a difficult holiday for me to take a picture of. It seems easy enough - take a photo with an old rock. But aren't all rocks old? Or at least older than anyone that is alive?

It is unknown as to who created this holiday, but it is believed that it was created to celebrate not just old rocks, but more specifically, fossils.

Fossils are the persevered remains or traces of a living organism, plants, or animals. I remember when I was in elementary school and I found a fossil. It was a rock that had the impression of a plant in it. I didn't realize that it was a fossil until my teacher told me, I just thought that it was really cool. After that day I tried to find more fossils. I remember digging up our back yard, looking through all the rocks to see if I could find a fossil. This went on for maybe a week before I got bored with digging and not finding anything. It also didn't help that my parents thought that the holes were from our dogs trying to dig out of the backyard!

Even if you are not that big into fossils, it is still a great day to celebrate rocks. We don't think too much about rocks, but they are everywhere. What would our life be like without them? We wouldn't have Stonehenge, Mt. Rushmore, or the Blarney Stone. Plus how would the 70's have survived without selling pet rocks to people and children everywhere?

Erin
   Reeses & Blossom

No comments:

Post a Comment