Monday, January 12, 2015

National Clean off your Desk Day

Whenever I think of desks I think of school. Sure I have a desk in my house, but the ones from school were so much more fun!

Lets see, there were the desks from early elementary that had the table top with the seat attached to it and a small place to put our books underneath the seat. They had wooden seats and after my 2nd grade year the school sold them to get new, more updated and modern desks. I remember that my parents bought two of the desks. A small one (made for children under 7 years) and bigger one (used for the 7th and 8th graders). They thought it would be a nice place for my brother and I to do our homework. My brother and I, on the other hand, only used them to play "school". We would take turns being the teacher and the student, and it usually ended with one of us being forced into detention (a wooden toy box) or having to write an essay on how awesome the other sibling was (in which we never actually wrote nice things).

In fourth grade is when we got the desks without the chairs attached. They had a table top and directly under the table top was the area to put our books. I remember that mine, along with 90% of my class, was always messy. I even remember having a pixie stick that I wanted to eat, but didn't want to wait until lunch. So I poured the pixie stick into the inside of the desk. Then when the teacher wasn't looking I would lick my finger, stick it in the pixie powder, and then eat it. Thinking back on it, that probably wasn't the most hygienic thing to do. . .although it must be better than the girl in my class who had a lime green gel pen explode in her mouth because she was chewing on it!

Then we got to the desks in high school. They were very similar to the ones from early elementary but were made out of more metal and thicker material. I guess the creators of the desk knew that high schoolers are not always known for being gentle with school property. Although I don't think the creators thought that they would be used in "desk wars". What is desk wars do you ask? That is when you walk into your tenth grade math class to find 4 of the kids had flipped the desks upside down and were trying to "battle" each other by ramming the desks into each other. The teacher was not too happy and I believe they got detention. The only thing that I miss about these desks are that even though they were uncomfortable, they were really great at cracking your back!

No matter if you use your desk for school, homework, bills, drawing, your computer, or for taking photos, make sure that you find the time to clean off your desk. You might even find something that you have been looking for, or a bill that you should have paid last week!

Have fun Desk Cleaning!

Erin
   Reeses & Blossom

No comments:

Post a Comment