Wednesday, February 18, 2015

National Battery Day

The Battery. Most of us have multiples of these through out the house. We use them for remote controls, camcorders, computers, fire alarms, camera's, toys, games, cars, and many other things.

When I think of batteries, I think of a science teacher that I had in high school. I wasn't a huge fan of this teachers class, but he drilled the importance of recycling batteries instead of throwing them away. Batteries take a very long time to decompose, and when they do they let out a toxic substance. This substance then can seep into the ground and the bugs will eat it. Birds and fish then eat the bugs and eventually we end up eating the birds and fish. Thus getting more of the toxic stuff into us. I'm not sure if I am 100% correct on all of this, but that is what I remember my teacher saying. He even had us each create a battery container out of old milk containers and put them in a different teachers classrooms. We then had to explain to the class about batteries and how they should bring in their old batteries and once the milk jug was full, our teacher would take them to the proper place to be disposed of/recycled.

So be happy for batteries!

Erin
   Reeses & Blossom


1 comment:

  1. As long as you don't add salt to the batteries. ;) Nobody wants to be arrested!

    ReplyDelete