Saturday, April 11, 2015

Barbershop Quartet Day

You don't see too many Barbershop Quartets around anymore, but today is the day to celebrate and appreciate them! Barbershop Quartets usually consist of 4 people who sing songs a capella (with no musical instruments other than their voice). They are usually catchy tunes that others can sing along to. It got the name "barbershop" quartet because it originally started by barbers who would start singing while they were working on their clients. This genera of music was at it's highest point in the 1930's and 1940's.

I remember as a kid going with my dad when he would go and get his hair cut. We would go into a little barbershop that was known for having the worlds tallest barber pole (although I don't think that they hold that record anymore). They only had three guys working, so it would have been hard for them to actually form a quartet (that plus I never heard them sing). I do remember though that the guy that always cut my hair always joked around saying that since I was in the shop, he was going to give me a buzz cut like my dad. . . . I was very glad that he never did that!

So take some time today to either sing some Barbershop songs with friends or watch a barbershop quartet.

Have fun!

Erin
   Reeses & Blossom

No comments:

Post a Comment