Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Raining Helicopters Day

Oh no! We are all going to be crushed by helicopters raining down from the sky! . . . Don't worry though. I'm not talking about the big metal flying machine that can transport people from place to place. I'm talking about the little seeds that fall from trees and spin in such a way that it looks like the spinning of a helicopter.

The most common tree to have the "helicopters" seems to be the Maple tree. The seeds are designed in such a way so that when they fall they fly away from the tree. That way it can find it's own place to grow and can continue to grow the maple tree population.

As a kid I loved to go out side and put as many helicopters that I could find in a bucket. I would then throw them up in the air and watch them spin all the way to the ground. I would sometimes also peel away the "dead" part so that I was left with just the seed. I would then try to grow my own tree (with  not much success. . . )

Have a great day, and enjoy the natural confetti that mother earth has provided for us!

Erin
   Reeses & Blossom

No comments:

Post a Comment