Saturday, June 13, 2015

National Sewing Machine Day

Before sewing machines people use to sew everything together by hand. Our clothes where made by hand, our blankets, and many other things that are made out of material. It took a lot of time and energy.  By using sewing machines, the time spent making clothes and other things decreased tremendously.

My family is a family of quilters. My mom taught me how to use a sewing machine when I was in 3rd grade. In 4th grade I used that skill to make 'Backpack Bears' for market day. That was a day in which all of the 4th graders in the school would set up stand in their classroom and sell something that they had made. I made little toy bears. The following year was when I started my first quilt and finished about a year later. I remember that I thought that it took forever to make that first quilt. I think back now and realize that if we didn't have a sewing machine, that it would have taken me years to finish that quilt - if I even finished it!

So thank you to the people who made the sewing machine!

Erin
   Reeses & Blossom

No comments:

Post a Comment